Sep 29, 2023  
2017-2018 College Catalog 
2017-2018 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Special Learning Opportunities

Experiential Learning

Students are encouraged to complete some type of experiential learning experience at Northwest College:

  • internship,
  • cooperative education,
  • service learning,
  • independent study, and
  • field studies.

These experiences enhance students’ academic knowledge and build employment skills. A number of NWC’s career and technical education programs require experiential learning components, and most of these opportunities are open to all students.

A maximum of 12 credit hours of independent study, cooperative education, and internship credits may be used to fulfill requirements for AA, AS, or AAS degrees at Northwest College. Not more than six of these hours may be in any one of the three areas.

Internships and Cooperative Education

Internships and cooperative education are experiential learning venues that allow students to apply classroom theory in the work place. Generally, internships are offered by a “call for interns” from an employer through a competitive process. They are also sometimes arranged by a student’s current employer. Cooperative education is typically a collaborative learning opportunity between a student, employer, and the college that can be initiated by any of the three.

Internships and cooperative education require a minimum of 30 hours in the workplace for each credit hour earned. Most experiences are 3-6 credits with occasional exceptions. Registration is open throughout the semester.

Faculty advisors are excellent resources for identifying opportunities.

Visit the Internships/Cooperative Education section of the NWC website for more information.

Service Learning

Service Learning encourages students to reflect on service activities/projects in such a way as to gain further understanding of course/program content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility.

Independent Study

Independent study courses allow students to design individualized academic courses in cooperation with a faculty member. Students may take up to four credits of independent study per semester and may apply up to a total of six credits of independent study toward an associate’s degree.

Students may obtain forms for independent study from the Academic Affairs Office.

Field Studies

Field-study courses enhance participants’ understanding of history, culture, arts, language, and the environment of another region or country. Courses are offered during weekends, Winter Holiday, Spring Break, and summer months. Sample courses include field studies in Paris, Equador, Italy, Spain, China, Hawaii and the American Southwest.

Visit the Field Studies section of the NWC website for more information.


Academic Activities

Northwest College supports co-curricular team activities and academic-based clubs and campus activities. For example:

  • The Northwest College Forensic team has maintained top 10 national rankings for more than 30 years.
  • Equine Judging teams have consistently earned individual and team awards at regional and national competitions.
  • Livestock Judging and Livestock Showing teams have consistently earned individual and team awards at regional and national competitions.
  • Academic-based clubs and activities include a variety of programs such as Block and Bridle, International Club, Phi Theta Kappa and Enactus.

Visit the Academic Activities section of the NWC website for more information.

Phi Theta Kappa - Honor Society

The purpose of the Phi Epsilon Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society is to promote scholarship, the development of leadership and service, and the cultivation of fellowship among qualified honor students at Northwest College. A number of universities offer scholarships to students who are in Phi Theta Kappa.

Visit the Phi Theta Kappa page of the NWC website for more information.

Extended Campus

Northwest College recognizes the need for education access and lifelong learning. The Office of Extended Campus provides educational opportunities in Park, Big Horn, and Washakie Counties.

Extended Campus credit courses have the same high standards and requirements as courses offered on the main campus. On-site instruction is provided at the Cody and Worland Centers. Internet course delivery supplements site-based delivery.

Visit the Distance & Online Learning section of the NWC website for more information.

Dual/Concurrent Enrollment

Dual/Concurrent enrollment courses are college-level classes offered by Northwest College where qualified high school students earn both high school and college credit. Northwest College offers these courses to give high school students around the Big Horn Basin an opportunity for advanced placement, additional opportunities for growth and educational development, and encouragement to continue their education after high school graduation. Get more information at the Office of Extended Campus or online.

Visit the Distance & Online Learning section of the NWC website for more information.

Center for Training and Development

The Northwest College Center for Training and Development provides quality training programs for community members and businesses throughout the Big Horn Basin by offering business specific, customized training, and open enrollment courses.

The center also offers Continuing Education Credits (CEU) for many of its courses. CEUs can be used for recertification and licensure renewal in many fields.

Visit the Center for Training & Development section of the NWC website for more information.

Developmental Courses and Study Skills

A strong foundation in math, writing, and reading is essential for college success. Students complete placement testing in these subject areas before they register for classes (see Student Placement Testing ). Students who do not score at the college level are placed in courses designed to support development of these important skills. Developmental courses carry college credit but do not count toward graduation requirements.

Study skills are another important element for college success. Northwest College offers two one-credit courses to help students acquire these critical skills. HMDV 1000  and HMDV 1010  are useful in helping students master use of the electronic library, computer labs, and other important academic success skills. These courses do count toward graduation and are highly recommended for all students.

Adult Education: Wyoming High School Equivalency Certificate, College Transition, Basic Skills and English as a Second Language

The Northwest College Adult Education Program offers instruction to attain a Wyoming High School Equivalency Certificate (formerly GED), college transition, basic skills development (reading, writing, and mathematics), and English as a second language assistance. Instruction is offered onsite in six communities across the Big Horn Basin: Basin, Cody, Greybull, Lovell, Powell, and Worland. This program meets a wide variety of individual educational needs and responds to a diverse population of learners. Instruction is provided throughout the year one-on-one or in small group settings at no cost to participants.

Visit the Adult Education page of the NWC website for more information.

Faculty Advisors

Each degree-seeking student will be assigned a faculty advisor but a student may request an advisor from the Advising Center office. Read more in Academic Advising .

Visit the Academic Advising page of the NWC website for more information.

Community Education

Powell Valley Community Education, supported cooperatively by Northwest College and Park County School District Number One, provides traditional and online enrichment programs. These courses cover a wide range of topics and carry no high school or college credit.

Visit the Powell Valley Community Education website for more information.

Cultural Programs

The college sponsors and hosts a wide variety of programs on topics of current interest. Performances, presentations, and exhibits are frequent. Many are free to the public.

Visit the College Calendar section of the NWC website for more information.