Jul 20, 2024  
2010–2012 College Catalog 
2010–2012 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Nearly everything you need to know to have a successful student career is contained in this catalog. Locating the material will be easier if you become familiar with college terminology. While advisors can and will assist you, ultimately you, the student, are responsible for READING THE CATALOG, for adhering to the policies herein, for monitoring your progress toward meeting graduation requirements, for maintaining a current address with the Registrar, and for your career here at Northwest.


College Terminology

Course Descriptions

This catalog contains descriptions of each course offered at Northwest College. These listings include the course prefix, number, title, and credit hours (in parentheses) for the course (see Course Descriptions  for more information). Course descriptions are followed by the number of hours spent in class lecture or labs. Some courses have prerequisites. A prerequisite is a specific requirement that must be fulfilled by the student before he/she will be allowed to enroll in that course.

Course Numbers

Course numbers generally signify the level of the course. For example, courses numbered below 1000 are below college level and are not accepted for degree requirements at NWC. Those numbered 1000+ are typically freshman courses, and those numbered 2000+ are typically sophomore courses.

Section Numbers

In the semester class schedule, courses are identified by course prefix, number, and a section number. The section numbers can designate the location and length of the course:

  Sections 70-79 designate first half of the semester,
  Sections 80-89 designate second half of the semester,
  Sections 90-93 designate courses meeting for less than the entire semester,
  Sections 94-98 designate nursing clinical courses,
  Section 99 designates courses offered during the intersession,
  Sections 30-39 designate courses offered in Basin or Greybull,
  Sections 40-49 designate courses offered in Cody or Meeteetse,
  Sections 50-59 designate courses offered in Lovell, Byron or Burlington, and
  Sections 60-69 designate courses offered in Ten Sleep or Worland.

Course Transfer

Northwest College courses should transfer to any accredited college, but specific course transferability depends upon many factors. As soon as possible, any student who intends to transfer to another institution should obtain a catalog of that institution and check its requirements. Then that student should match courses at Northwest to those at the transfer institution. Different majors accept different courses and some colleges and universities will accept the same NWC course for different purposes. Talk with your academic advisor at Northwest if you have questions. For more information see Transfer Agreements/Dual Admissions  and Transferring from Northwest 

Visit the Transfer Information section of the NWC website for more information.

NOTE: Courses numbered below 1000 and courses listed under Below College-Level Courses  are not transferable and do not count toward GPA in determining honor roll eligibility.


  • Credit hour One clock hour in the classroom or at least two hours in a lab per week.
  • Full-time student Enrolled in 12 or more credit hours per semester.
  • Part-time student Enrolled in 11.5 or fewer credit hours per semester.
  • Freshman Any student with fewer than 30 completed credit hours.
  • Sophomore Any student with 30 or more completed credit hours